Monday, October 18, 2021

Today's missed opportunity.

One would think that after being a Christian for 47 years, and after being a Gospel minister for 46 years, I would not have completely missed a golden opportunity presented to me in the Providence of God. But I did. 

I went to my scheduled teeth cleaning appointment this morning, earlier than I like to do anything on a Monday morning following a Sunday in which I preached two sermons. But I made it to the appointment on time, not at all happy about having to wear a mask. I hate wearing masks and hope that someday our society can put this insanity aside. 

I put on my mask, walked through the door, approached the front desk, and signed in before sitting down. A couple of minutes later one of the dental assistants called my name and asked me to follow her. On the way to having my teeth x-rayed before the cleaning session, she asked me, “And how was your weekend?” 

My response to that nice young lady was, “Fine.” As soon as the word came out of my mouth and she turned to walk away from me I knew that I had missed a golden opportunity. It is tragic to miss such a golden opportunity as was afforded me in the Providence of God. I rebuked myself for telling her that I was fine. 

For many years I have preached to the congregation where I serve that most spiritual behavior is planned. While it is possible to act and react in a spiritual way to a spontaneous or otherwise unplanned event or situation, I am one who does not think quickly on his feet. For me to say the right thing or do the right thing I have to plan to do so. Perhaps not so much with other Christians, but for me spiritual behavior has to be planned. 

One plans to do right. Then one does right repeatedly. Eventually, one does right habitually. And finally, doing right becomes a part of one’s character. I am convinced that is a major part of sanctification. 

Who would have thought, after these many years of being a Christian, that I would not have anticipated being greeted by someone in the dentist’s office? I anticipated nothing walking into that office. I was quite thoughtless, or I would have planned to say something of consequence and importance to whoever spoke to me. I am disappointed with my dullness and failure to anticipate. 

What might I have said? What could I have said? What should I have said? I might have, could have, or should have said any number of things. What I did say was “Fine.”  Upon reflection, I wish I would have answered her differently. When she asked, “How was your weekend?” I wish that I had said, “My weekend was significant. Thank you for asking.”  Or perhaps ,”My weekend was important. Thank you for asking.”  Or something other than “Fine.” What I could have or should have said might have led to a witnessing opportunity. Saying “Fine” ended the conversation before it started.  

So, I will mark this down as yet another lesson in the Lord’s classroom of life for me. It is never too late to learn. It is never too late to grow. It is never too late to prepare to do something spiritual. Don’t you know, I will be ready the next time someone asks me how my weekend was.