Friday, April 19, 2024

The Importance Of Reading Authors With Whom You Disagree

      I have believed in Jesus Christ for almost three weeks past fifty years. During that time, God was very gracious to me. As I reflect, God's grace was extended to me long before I came to Christ, for which I am profoundly grateful.

     One of my blessings growing up, though my parents were decidedly not believers, was exposure to their habit of reading. My parents seemed always to be reading something, with my recollections being my dad blasting through a book daily. Taught to read by an older sister when he was only four years old, reading was my dad's escape from a sharecropper's life.

     At this point, I must recollect one of Mark Twain's sayings: "A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot read." How right he was. This episode of my musings is a pitch for reading, but more than that. It is a pitch for reading even what you know in advance you will not much like, mainly works related to biblical and systematic theologies written by men whose persuasions and convictions differ from yours.

     Sadly, as a Baptist pastor for more than forty-five years, I have concluded, from many conversations, that most missionaries and pastors do not read much. And if they do, they tend to read unsubstantial works written only by authors they agree with. That is both sad and mistaken.

     Pastors and missionaries need to be widely read men. And we need to read for various reasons. We should read to clarify our positions. That is the first reason for reading widely. My first pastor was a man with convictions he refused to articulate. He did not refuse to answer my questions only, but also the questions of other Church members about the Bible and other matters.

     One of my favorite teachers in Bible college, I was saddened to discover years later, was a man of strong convictions that he could not defend because he was not widely read. He was a remarkable teacher. All of his students loved him in class. But after entering the pastorate, I learned from interacting with him that he was a man of deep convictions with shallow reasons for his convictions. This was disheartening, especially in light of my agreement with him. But I am persuaded that someone right for the wrong reasons is wrong!

     Another reason for being widely read concerns your understanding of those you disagree with. It is insufficient to disagree with those who are wrong, even if you do not sufficiently grasp the intricacies of their error.

     Most Baptist pastors and missionaries do not have much track record opposing Arminianism. Why not? It may be because their grasp of Arminianism is insufficient, and they do not comprehend how man-centered Arminianism is and its proximity to Pelagianism.

     Far more Baptist pastors rail against Calvinism but do so without having read Calvinist authors. The result, of course, is childish caricatures of Calvinism that men who have investigated Calvinism easily see through.

     If you are confident your understanding of Scripture on a point of doctrine is accurate, you will profit from reading diverse positions written by thoughtful men who disagree with you. It will clarify the position you disagree with and help you articulate your position more clearly.

     I believe it helps to know what you are talking about, and strongly held, but unsupported positions bolstered by little more than vehemence are unpersuasive. Further, I am persuaded that not only are readers leaders, but leaders are readers, and a Gospel minister who is not a devoted and prolific reader needs to find another line of work!