Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Political Sermons

     It saddens me that the United States of America is so obviously experiencing political and economic decline at an alarming rate. However, this is to be expected as the necessary consequence of our nation's spiritual decline. If responsibility for our nation's spiritual decline is to be assigned it is rightly assigned to the Gospel ministers of our country for our unwillingness to faithfully and courageously proclaim the unsearchable riches of Jesus Christ as the only hope for mankind's ills. As well, responsibility must also be assigned to those who, while faithful to the Gospel, seem to be so embittered toward other Gospel ministers that they are content to write them off rather than engage in the laborious task of patiently wooing them to a right exercise of their calling. Smugness in feeling so right when others are so obviously wrong makes the self-satisfied preacher as culpable, in my opinion, as those who are not so faithful to preach the Gospel.
     While all of this sad interplay of personalities takes place among Gospel ministers who rarely minister the Gospel and who are not much willing to attempt to restore brethren they are convinced are overtaken in faults, I fear the whole lot of us are additionally shirking our responsibility to preach political sermons designed to address some of the ills that plague our nation. How important is this holy task? Not even George Whitefield restricted himself to preaching only Gospel sermons.
     I anticipate much in the way of helping me address my own shortcomings along this line by means of two fine works given to me only yesterday by one of the fine men of our Church. I have begun reading them already and can tell from long experience with books that they will contribute to the flourishing of my ministry of preaching much needed political sermons. I include pictures of them below for your consideration. May God help us in less than two weeks.