Thursday, November 19, 2020

The Some Thoughts Come To Mind After Reading Booker T. Washington's Autobiography, "Up From Slavery"

 

The three most constructive figures in the American civil rights movement were Frederick Douglass, Booker T. Washington (picture), and Martin Luther King Junior. I have intentionally left out from this list of three towering figures W. E. B. Du Bois. This has been intentional since Dubois was a communist who advocated for political power in a fashion that I do not believe helped the black community of his day.


Frederick Douglass was a former slave who escaped to the north and developed into the most captivating orator of his day. He was an advocate for abolishing slavery before and during the Civil War and was very active for civil rights following the war. Of course, people of our day recognize the name of Martin Luther King Jr., with those of my age remembering his spellbinding deliveries of speeches and sermons and his effectiveness as a nonviolent protester on behalf of black civil rights and in opposition to Jim Crow laws. I well remember as a young teenager the heartache I felt upon hearing of his assassination.

Between those two towering figures was a man of unparalleled wisdom and discernment, also a towering figure in his own right, but in a different way. While Booker T. Washington was not an orator in the same vein as Frederick Douglass and Martin Luther King Jr., he was a profoundly compelling public speaker. His effectiveness as a speaker, as an educator, and as a builder of responsible and accomplished men and women owed more to his incredible work ethic, his keen insight into human nature, and his grasp of the most effective strategy to be employed by the black community in the South in overcoming the racism and the fear of the southern white majority.

I am sorry I came to read this book so late in my life and ministry. I had the privilege of being born in 1950 to a mother and father born and raised in the deep South, but who had no detectable racial bias that I have ever perceived. My earliest memories as a child were a vacation trip from the Indian reservation in South Dakota. My dad taught high school for the Bureau of Indian affairs to my grandparents in Texas’s panhandle. My mother, younger brother, and I rode in the car’s back seat while my dad drove with one of his colleagues. That colleague was a black man sitting on the passenger side in the front seat. Only later in life did I realize what an unusual occurrence that was in 1955.

Living in Florida from 1960 to 1965 meant that the civil rights movement unfolding in the deep South was ever before me. I even remember another vacation, this time in 1963, driving from southern Florida again to Texas’s panhandle, with my father detouring through Selma, Alabama to show us where the Selma march had occurred and explained to his two boys the significance of the March. My brother and I were profoundly blessed to not only grow up in that era but to have the parents that we had who displayed to us no detectable racial bias, ever.

I knew of Martin Luther King Jr. from a boy. I learned of Frederick Douglass in high school. But it was not until I was a young man that I heard of W. E. B. Du Bois and Booker T. Washington, two men with radically opposing views about the strategy the black community should adopt to gain equal footing after the Civil War and into the 20th century.

This book is a must-read for every black person. I think it is a must-read for every pastor. This autobiography presents one of the pivotal figures in American history and race relations for the half-century following the Civil War. Decide for yourself if Booker T. Washington’s approach was the correct one. I have.