Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Frenzy

 

There is a type of spiritual schizophrenia in Christendom. Christians and non-Christians believe and yet do not believe, subscribe, and somehow do not subscribe to invisible spirits’ reality and their danger. We do not doubt that what the missionaries tell us takes place on the mission field about demon possession and influences being both quite dangerous and very real, yet we do not think such dangers apply to us. We conclude that we are in no danger, resulting more from feelings of familiarity about issues than objective facts and reality.

To address this lethargy, I have begun on Sunday nights to survey indications of Satanic and demonic warfare found in each book of the Bible. It is a survey designed to heighten awareness and provoke concern about this matter of Satanic and demonic warfare in the human realm, especially as it relates to seducing spirits. Have we been unknowingly seduced about the proper way to approach God in our worship?

During my research, I noticed that one commentator used a word that caught my attention, describing the religious practices of the Egyptian idolaters of Moses’ day as engaging in frenzy. That word frenzy caught my attention and piqued my interest. I remembered the description Moses wrote of the Israelites activities in Exodus 32.6: “And they rose up early on the morrow, and offered burnt offerings, and brought peace offerings; and the people sat down to eat and to drink, and rose up to play,” the word “play” translating qxu  tsachaq,  tsaw-khak'. Does that Hebrew word refer to this notion of frenzy? I am investigating, especially in light of the “mischief” of the people, verse 22, and their “nakedness,” verse 25.

For the first 25 years of my life, my father worked for the federal government, the Bureau of Indian Affairs. From my earliest years, we lived on Indian reservations, and it was not uncommon for us to spend Saturday nights on the reservations at the very well-attended war dances. I was looking back on those war dances I attended 60 years ago. I am struck by what now seems to me to be remarkable similarities. I am discovering that Egyptian and Canaanite pagan frenzy appears similar to the frenzy on display during my childhood at the various plains Indians’ war dances. It is eery.

During my junior high school years, I had no conscious awareness of any personal religious inclinations, and our family did not but rarely attend church services. I do remember reading a book titled The Religions Of Man, by Huston Smith. A revised and updated version of that book is now available under the title The World’s Religions. Although Smith does not use the term frenzy, he does use the term ecstatic to describe what appears to be some form of frenzy among the Sufis of Islam, known as dervishes. Are the practices of those engaged in frenzy and those demonstrating ecstasy the same phenomenon?

Almost immediately after my conversion to Christ in 1974, I found myself surrounded in my workplace environment by Pentecostalism and adherents to the Charismatic movement. One fellow was an usher for Katherine Kuhlman. Another fellow was an usher for Frederick K. Price. Though never inviting me to any church services, my Pentecostal and Charismatic colleagues frequently invited me to the Shekinah Fellowship on Saturday nights to watch what could only be described as ‘the spectacle’ of the effeminate, pirate-puffy-sleeved, satin-shirted (with satin bow tie) and obligatory Dutch Boy haircut-wearing Brant Baker. To be sure, my recollection of tongues-speaking afterglows strikes me as frenzy.

One of the mistakes people make when seeking to justify inappropriate conduct during contemporary worship services is to claim affinity to David. They embrace the imagery of David dancing before the ark of the LORD (2 Samuel 6.16 and 1 Chronicles 15.29) as it was being relocated to Ornan’s threshing floor where Solomon would later build his temple. Yet David was not, as he danced before the ark in delight, engaged in the public worship of the God of Israel prescribed in the Law of Moses. He was dancing a jig because he was excited, and rightly so. His conduct on that occasion should not be seen as normative for gathered Christian worship.

My great fear is that the frenzy that characterizes paganism has found its way into mainstream Christianity. With its abysmal lack of truth requiring that emotions be stirred by drums and flutes and stringed instruments accompanying dancing, and the abandoning of any pretense of self-control, pagan worship was on display by the children of Israel in Exodus 32.

It is not called frenzy among its professing Christian practitioners. It is called worship. However, with its nightclub mood and lighting, and its insistence on music that is heavily dependent upon the rhythm section of the band, as well as the singing of choruses that are so repetitive as to for all intents and purposes be chanting, I am afraid there is more of paganism’s frenzy in contemporary Christianity’s worship than anyone wants to admit.