Monday, July 27, 2026

 Waldrip Family Report From Greece #1

7/25/2026


I retired from pastoral ministry effective December 31, 2025 (47 years), and my precious wife followed my lead and moved with me to Zakynthos, Greece. What a gal! We arrived February 20, 2026, and it is about time to file my first report.

Prior to my formal retirement, I sought and was granted the Church's authorization to represent them in advancing the Great Commission by preaching the Gospel and baptizing new converts should a New Testament Baptist Church not be conveniently at hand (I did not anticipate inactivity in retirement). Grateful for Calvary Road Baptist Church's endorsement, Pam and I moved here and settled in. When Pastor Korianitis requested that we join the Church we were attending, I asked for CRBC's endorsement of that move, and we were recommended by Pastor Kim and subsequently received as members of Bible Baptist Church, Zakynthos.

This first report is about one of the main ministries of Bible Baptist Church, Zakynthos, and the founding pastor, Takis Korianitis, the annual summer camp. This year, from June 15 through August 28, camp is in session each weekday from 8:00 AM until 3:00 PM. It is a ministry the congregation is committed to, as well as the pastor, his wife, and his adult children, with even church members’ job schedules shifted to allow for their participation in the camp.

Imagine living in a country with an official religion (many countries), and with child evangelism being illegal (many countries). Where we currently live, there are five state-approved church buildings within 200 yards of my front door. Much religion without much evangelism opportunity. So, God led the pastor (born and raised on this tourism-economy island) to establish a summer camp program local citizens would want to place their children in, the parents willingly signing waivers to allow their kids to be taught the Bible, Christian hymns, and also the Gospel. Enrollment this year has reached more than sixty in attendance, putting a strain on existing facilities.

I have observed missionary endeavors in seventeen different countries and am familiar with missionary tactics employed in a number of other places I have not been privileged to visit and observe firsthand. This Church ministry is one of those delightful wonders the Lord has put together over time using wise pastoral leadership, spousal and family sacrifice, congregational commitment, and young adult on-site visiting counselors who can be high schoolers from the USA or Bible college students from Europe.

The results? Hard to tell with kids so young, many of whom had no idea Who God is when camp started. That said, the kids obviously love their experiences, with some camp kids being the children of former camp kids, and two youngsters having made professions of faith within the last week. So, things are not going badly by any measure.

I am thrilled the church I led for forty years supports this ministry on a monthly basis, and has given special offerings in the past. I trust forward-thinking pastors will pray about supporting this ministry, will pray about one or two young people with an interest in missions considering being camp counselors here next year, and will be open to adopting this ministry for a special project in the near future.

I will be sure to provide more information about the ministry my wife and I are committed to in the future, but for now I want to leave you with this. God has given this pastor and small congregation an outsized opportunity to influence Greece, Europe, and the world in ways I had not imagined before moving here. This summer camp ministry figures prominently in what I believe to be God’s plan for this congregation.

Feel free to call me to address questions or provide more information at +30 694 7712960 or email me at JohnSWaldrip@ClassicalBaptist.Press, or reach out to Pastor Taki Korianitis directly at ZanteBaptist@GMail.Com.

Below are some pictures and a three-minute video of the multi-talented preacher leading the camp kids in singing a hymn before lunch in four languages!

Blessings. Thanks for taking the time to read this.



Pam and I were here celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary. Provided for those of you whose memories are as bad as mine, to help you remember what we look like.



Camp entrance.


Pastor's Bible lesson time.


To Be Attached

Pastor's hymn-sing