Monday, August 10, 2026

A PASTOR’S LIBRARY SYSTEM


“A PASTOR’S LIBRARY SYSTEM”

If someone has been called to the Gospel ministry, there is a good chance he will end up in the pastorate. And if he ends up in the pastorate, he will have the opportunity to build a personal library. I understand that rapid developments in technology are quickly altering the terrain when it comes to one’s library, so I will focus my attention on printed and bound books in a personal library, the kind of books that you can see, smell, and feel, the kind of books you can highlight and underline, and if you are not a bibliophile like I am occasionally dog-ear. There is also room in this universe for Kindle. Now that I live in Greece, I have only one book besides my two Bibles. So, in God's Providence, I am forced to rely on Kindle more than I might have imagined.

I was first exposed to a pastor’s library when I was only months old in the faith, only recently graduated from engineering school, and not having had the privilege of growing up in a Christian home. For that reason, I was somewhat startled by my first pastor’s library, about a yard wide, on a single shelf, bleached by sunlight coming through his office window. Meaning? Meaning he was not a reader (confirmed by a visit to his home). Meaning he was not a student. None of his books were anything close to being recently purchased. And none of his books or dust covers gave any indication of repeated use. Add to that his habit of steadfastly refusing to provide concise answers to Bible questions posed to him by anyone, and it added up to a pastor who was not a reader, who was not a student, who was not well informed, and who was unwilling or unable to respond in a satisfactory way to reasonable questions.

My second pastor was a significantly better student than my first pastor. Better educated, he was not a reader (that I could tell) of theologies or commentaries, but he devoured contemporary Christian literature devoted to Church Growth Principles and the dynamics of congregational manipulation. What tipped me off, however, was his comment after his B.A. and M.A. from Baptist colleges that the most beneficial course he had ever taken was a business management course offered by the General Motors Corporation. He demonstrated considerably more excitement about what he learned from GM than what he had learned from God’s Word.

It was my third pastor, who succeeded my second pastor at the second Church I had joined to prepare for the ministry, who was a reader and a Bible student. Dr. Eli Harju had for decades been both a pastor and a Bible college teacher, and he had a legitimate library. Not only that, but he offered me his adaptation of a library system he had used for many years. For that help I am profoundly grateful a half century later.


This picture was taken around 2006, with Pam and me bracketing Dr. Eli and Mary Lou Harju. Why am I not smiling? I was thrilled to have him preach for us.

You may not think you need a library system, and if you are a manipulative hack who reads only the latest ministry How-To books, or if you have such a dim view of the Gospel ministry that you imagine it is possible to get by and make do by listening to podcasts, or you buy books of sermon outlines, or you are bird bath shallow and plan on using AI to help you build sermons, I suggest you stop reading immediately. This article is not for you. You have no appreciation for God’s dealings with His man, twisting and squeezing messages from thoroughly studied passages to prepare both man and message for feeding God’s people.

On the other hand, if you are committing to studying God’s Word (and how can you do that without sitting at the feet of other men chosen to teach you, by reading their books) while making use of a growing library, then I promise you will need a library system. I illustrate: Though my last name comes from Hanover, I am mostly Irish, so “How the Irish Saved Civilization” was a must-read for me. After buying it and reading it, I then cataloged it for inclusion into my library, only to discover I had purchased, read, and thoroughly enjoyed the book a decade earlier. Your library will grow to that size eventually, young fellow, so start cataloging now.

A pastor friend of mine (now retired) had a library of about 10,000 books. It was an impressive collection for my very well-trained preacher friend. Visiting him in another state after his retirement, I brought up his new life as a retired pastor serving under another preacher's ministry. He related a recent conversation with his new pastor, who said to him during a car ride, “I don’t read.” He just blurted it out. To which my startled and student-for-a-lifetime friend responded, “If you don’t read, what do you do?” “I listen to podcasts.” My friend had nothing more to say, because there is nothing more to say.



This photo of my library in my library was taken in the mid-2000s. I was so blessed to have a library large enough for most of my books, and a space for uninterrupted study (though I usually interrupted others far more than they interrupted me. My library was about half the size of my preacher friend's library.

Podcasts may be fine while driving alone, or while rocking on the back porch. However, there is no substitute for the grueling but rewarding work of studying God’s Word. And for the serious study of God’s Word, you need a growing library. And not just for Bible study. Gospel ministers need to be readers of a wide variety of sources, without subjecting yourself to the intellectual slavery of expensive online study helps. You even need to learn to read books that, while not very interesting at the time, are beneficial in the long term.

Enough from me about experiences. My library system from Dr. Eli Harju records books based on subject matter, as you will see in the attachment. In addition to that, I have recorded thousands of books on an Excel spreadsheet, with the following columns:


Book #, starting with 0001

Book title, the letters A and The at the end, “New Covenant, The”

Book author, always last name first, Waldrip, John S.

Book subject, from Dr. Harju’s list now modified (attached)

Publisher,

Date published,

ISBN,

Binding style (Hard, Paper, Spiral)

Year published


I hope this helps; it has been an invaluable aid to me for fifty years, and I still both admire and appreciate my pastor for bringing it to my attention.

Below is my attempt to present my adaptation of Dr. Harju's library system, which I received about fifty years ago. Properly formatted, it is two pages long with three columns per page.


PASTOR'S LIBRARY TOPICS

1-ADMINISTRATION

1-Ch Church Administration

1-CB Constitution & By-Laws

1-In Insurance

1-Le Leadership

1-Or Organization

1-RR Reports & Records

2-ANTHROPOLOGY

2-g General

2-Bi Biblical

2-Cu Cultural

3-ARCHAEOLOGY

3-g General Archaeology

3-Bi Biblical Archaeology

4-ARCHITECTURE

4-g General

4-CA Church Architecture

4-DD Design & Decoration

5-ARTS, MANUAL

6-ASTRONOMY

7-BIBLIOGRAPHY

7-g General

7-LP Lists of Publications

7-RL Religious Literature

7-TL Tape Library (Cass & CDs)

7-VL Video Library

7-Q Quotations

8-BIOGRAPHY

8-g General

8-Ac Actors

8-AS Athlete, Sportsmen

8-CB Christian Biography

8-GA Generals, Admirals, Military

8-In Industry

8-Mu Musicians

8-PL Political Leaders

PL-An Ancient

PL-Me Medieval

PL-Mo Modern

PL-Co Contemporary

8-RL Religious Leaders

RL-An Ancient

RL-Me Medieval

RL-Pu Puritans

RL-Mo Modern

RL-Co Contemporary

8-ST Scientists/Thinkers

9-BIOLOGY

9-g General

9-Cr Creationist

9-Ev Evolution

11-BOTANY

12-BROADCASTING

12-R Radio

12-TV Television

12-W Web

15-BUSINESS

15-g General

15-AA Accounts & Accounting

15-Ad Advertising

15-P Personal Finances

15-Per Personnel

15-Sa Sales, Selling

24-CHEMISTRY

29-CLUBS

29-g General

29-As Assoc, Secret (Masons, Elks)

29-BS Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts

30-COMMUNICATIONS

30-g General

30-M Mailings

32-DEMOGRAPHICS

33-DIET & NUTRITION

36-EARTH SCIENCE

40-ECONOMICS

41-EDUCATION

41-g General

41-Ad Adult Education

41-CS Correspondence Schools

41-El Elementary

41-Eq Equipment

41-Hi High School

41-HE Higher Education

41-RE Religious Education (Chr Ed)

41-SE Sex Education

41-TM Teaching Methods

41-VA Visual Aids & Audio Aids

42-ENGINEERING

43-ENTERTAINMENT

43-g General

43-Am Amusements

43-AS Athletics, Sports

43-Ga Games

43-PP Parties & Picnics

43-PT Program Tips

44-FICTION

44-C Christian Fiction

44-H Historical Fiction

44-SF Science Fiction

56-GENERAL SCIENCE

56-g General

56-CS Creation Science

56-Hi History of Science

57-GEOGRAPHY

58-GEOLOGY

60-HISTORY

60-g General

60-AH Ancient History

60-BH Baptist History

60-CH Church History

60-DA Days (Holidays)

DA-Chr Christmas

DA-Eas Easter

DA-FaD Father’s Day

DA-MoD Mother’s Day

60-IH Islamic History

60-ME Medieval History

60-MH Military History

60-MO Modern History

60-RH Religion, History of

60-US United States

60-WO World

63-HOME ECONOMICS

65-HUMOR

65-g General

65-Am American

66-INDUSTRIES

67-INVESTING

69-JOURNALISM

73-LANGUAGE(S)

74-LAW & LAW ENFORCEMENT

74-II Interview & Interrogation

75-LITERATURE

76-MATHEMATICS

77-MEDICINE

78-METEOROLOGY

79-MUSIC

79-g General

79-O Opera

79-HS History of Songs

79-Sa Sacred

80-PHILANTHROPY

81-PHILOLOGY

82-PHILOSOPHY

82-Co Conservatism

82-Hu Humanism

83-PHYSICS

84-POETRY

85-POLITICAL SCIENCE

85-g General

85-CS Church & State

85-Co Communism

85-Fed Federal Government

85-FR Foreign Relations

85-PP Political Parties

85-SG State Government

85-So Socialism

85-UN United Nations

85-US United States

85-W War

85-WG World Government

86-PROFESSIONS

87-PSYCHOLOGY

87-g General

87-At Attitudes

87-BL Body Language, Expressions

87-Ch Child

87-Co Conscience

87-Cr Crime

87-Ed Educational Psychology

87-Em Emotions (Anger, Fear, etc.)

87-K Killing

87-MH Mental Health

87-PC Pastoral Counseling

87-SP Social Psychology

88-RELIGION

88-g General - Religion

88-B Bible - The Book

88-B-g General - Contents

88-B-Bib Bibliology

88-B-Ex Exegesis

88-B-Geo Geography, Bible

88-B-His History, Bible

88-B-TC Textual Criticism

88-B-Tr Translations

88-B-OT Old Testament & sets

88-B-L Law

88-B-H Historical

88-B-W Wisdom

88-B-P Prophets

88-B-NT-Gk Greek

88-B-NT-Tr Translations

88-B-NT New Testament & sets

88-B-G Gospels

88-B-G-LC Life of Christ

88-B-A Acts

88-B-E Pauline Epistles

88-B-O Other Epistles

88-B-R Revelation

88-C Christology

C-Ad Advents, 1st, 2nd

C-As Ascension

C-At Atonement

C-Cru Crucifixion

C-De Deity

C-Ex Example

C-Hu Humanity

C-In Incarnation

C-Min Ministry

C-Mir Miracles

C-Pa Parables

C-Re Resurrection

C-Ty Typology

88-CE Criticism & Evidences (Apologetics)

88-Ch Church (Ecclesiology & Growth)

88-CL Christian Living

88-CR Comparative Religions

CR-Bu Buddhism

CR-CS  Christian Science

CR-Is Islam

CR-JW Jehovah’s Witnesses

CR-Ju Judaism

CR-LT  Liberation Theology

CR-Mo Mormonism

CR-NA New Age

CR-RC Roman Catholicism

CR-Sc Scientology

CR-SDA 7th Day Adventism

CR-Sp Spiritism

CR-Wo  World Religions

88-CT Covenant Theology

88-De Denominations

De-Ba  Baptists

De-CC Church of Christ

De-Ch  Charismatic/Pentecostal

De-Co Congregational

De-DR Dutch Reformed

De-NCC National Council of Churches

De-WCC World Council of Churches

88-Di Dispensationalism

88-Do Doctrines

88-Es Eschatology

Es-An Antichrist

Es-De Death

Es-Hea Heaven

Es-Hel Hell

Es-Ju Judgments

Es-Ki Kingdom

Es-LF Lake of Fire

Es-Ra Rapture

Es-Re Revelation

Es-Tr Tribulation (70th week)

88-Ev Evangelism

Ev-CE Child Evangelism

Ev-Di Discipleship

Ev-HBS Home Bible Studies

Ev-Is Muslim Evangelism

Ev-Ju Jewish Evangelism

Ev-LDS    Mormon Evangelism

Ev-RC Catholic Evangelism

Ev-SS Sunday Schools

88-G God

88-H Holy Spirit

88-He Hermeneutics

88-Ho Homiletics

Ho-S Sermons

Ho-SC Sermon Construction

88-M Miracles

88-Mi Missions

88-My Mythology

88-O Ordinances

O-Ba Baptism

O-LS Lord’s Supper

88-P Pastoral Theology

88-Pa Parenting

88-Pra Prayer & Fasting

88-Pro Prophecy

88-Re Revival

88-S Salvation

S-Co Conversion

S-Cn Conviction

S-Ju Justification

S-ES Eternal Security

S-Re Repentance

S-Sa Sanctification

88-Sa Satan & Demons

88-SS Sin & Sinners (Depravity)

88-SO Special Occasions

SO-g General

SO-Fu Funerals

SO-I Illness/Sickness

SO-Or Ordinations

SO-We Weddings

SO-X Christmas

88-St Stewardship (Tithing & Faith Promise)

88-SR Science & Religion

88-T Typology

88-U Unbelief

88-W Worship

90-SELF EXPRESSION

90-Ly Lying

90-Sp Speaking, Speech

92-SOCIOLOGY

92-g General

92-Ab Abortion

92-AIDS

92-Al Alcoholism

92-Cr Crime

92-EI Evil Influences

92-Fa Family Relationships (Divorce, Marriage)

92-Ga Gambling

92-Ju Juvenile Delinquency

92-Na Narcotics

92-OA Old Age

92-RR Race Relations

92-Se Sexism (Sex issues)

92-SS Social Security

92-VD Venereal Disease

94-SPACE SCIENCES

95-SPORTS

97-TRANSPORTATION

98-TRAVEL

100-WILDLIFE

103-WRITING & Reference